Thursday, August 25, 2011

Oktoberfest Mustard

I really need to quit being such a picky eater, or I'm never gonna be able to taste test the stuff I make.  This one was a particular request of the hubbs.  German-style beer mustard.





1 1/2c. Beer (I used heineken (its what I could get my hands on) but Nick asks I use a dark beer next time)
1c. Brown Mustard Seeds
1c. Water
1/2c. Malt Vinegar
1/2c. Lightly Packed Brown Sugar
1/4 c. Dry Mustard
1 tbsp. Onion Powder

Put beer and mustard seeds together in a pot.  Bring it to a boil, then remove from heat, cover and let stand for 2 hours.  It's kinds like makin' instant rice.

After 2 hours, put mustard "rice" into a blender or food processor, blending until it reaches your desired texture.

Put mustard seed/beer mixture back in pot and add everything else.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.

Ladle into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4" headspace and process for 10 minutes.

Before I put it in jars, I asked Nick what he thought.  I thought it needed salt or pepper or SOMETHING, but then I don't like mustard (as a condiment, anyways) or beer.  He assured me it's wonderful, except next time I should use a darker beer.  I'll hafta take his word for it.  If you make it, you can weigh in too.

No comments:

Post a Comment