Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Preserving: Blueberry Raspberry Jam

I'll tell you what: Our garden had one heck of a growth spurt over the long weekend.  Tonight, I picked 5 zucchini, 3 cucumbers (the first ones!) and quite the handful of snow peas, sweet peas, green beans and raspberries.  Last night I was so surprised by the amount of raspberries, I took a picture:


Between all of those raspberries (combined with tonight's) and the pint of blueberries the in-laws sent us home with from their bushes, I was ready to make something jellied.  Personally, I'm not a huge jelly person, but Nick has it just about every morning.  That makes it worth my time to make.  


Recipe

4c Blueberries
2c Raspberries  (I just love finding a recipe whose proportions mirror what I happen to have on hand)
1 pkg sure-jell
3 1/2 c Sugar (a lot, but half of what most of the recipes called for)

1. Put the berries in a dutch oven on the stove (medium-high heat).  As berries are warming, crush them.  I used a spatula but i was really wishing I had a potato masher.  Don't worry about the lack of liquid.  As them berries heat up, it'll get juicy quickly.  


2. Mix pectin with 1/4 c. Sugar and stir into warming, crushed berries.  


3. Bring to full rolling boil.  
4. Add remaining sugar and return to rolling boil.  
5. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.  
6. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes, skimming foam and stirring to evenly distribute berries.  
7. Fill sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 in headspace, and put on lids and rings.  One of my jars isn't totally full.  It'll go straught to the fridge after processing & cooling.  It's not fit for storage.  


8. Boil in hot water bath for 10 minutes.  


9. Remove to rack and let cool undisturbed for 24 hours.  Make sure all lids have vacuumed before storing.   


Too bad the lighting stinks in my kitchen in the evening.  They're really quite pretty looking in their jars.  

1 comment:

  1. You're amazing! That looks so delightful!

    ReplyDelete