Thursday, January 13, 2011

Toothpaste

Toothpaste is on my still-not-out-cuz-i-bought-it-at-sams list, and I have to admit I kinda was planning on just buying it from Tom's of Maine.  I guess making toothpase (and deodorant too) kinda intimidated me.  You'd think it'd be the other way around, when you consider the stuff they put in them, but they're both such an integral part of hygiene in this society.  It'd really stink to mess it up... literally.

But, one of my readers asked me about it and I had not only already found a recipe, but I already had all the supplies I needed, so I gave it a shot!



Recipe (can be multiplied or divided to suit your needs)
3 Tbsp Baking Soda
1 Tbsp Salt
1/4 c. Glycerin
A couple drops of Peppermint (or whatever flavor suits you) Extract (NOT Essential Oil) *optional

All you do is mix it all together.  If It's too thick or not completely combined, a few drops of water will fix it.



You need to use baking extracts, not essential oils, to flavor it because essential oils are for external use only.

When I used it, I found myself rinsing a tad more often than normal because it was quite salty, but my teeth felt clean and the peppermint was refreshing.  Maybe when I run out of sams toothpaste, I will keep making it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I have a stock of cheap toothpaste from couponing, but I may just have to try this when I run out!

    ReplyDelete