Thursday, January 20, 2011

Quinoa

KEEN-wah? Keen-o-uh? (Apparently both are correct, though the first is more correct)

I've been reading a lot about this new "super grain" on blogs and such.  I don't have regular television, is it on tv too?

In case you hadn't heard, it is high-protien, gluten-free and cooks quickly(10 minutes).  It can just as easily be used to replace grits in your breakfast or rice in your dinner.  It is naturally coated in bitter-tasting saponins, which can be easily rinsed off though that is not typically necessary as most available products come pre-rinsed.

Did you know that it i also a flower?
Pretty, isn't it?
Anyways,  I cooked  up a pot of it earlier this week because I just had to know what it was all about.  I prepared a mixture of snow peas, mushrooms and soy sauce to go with it.  
You know when it has finished cooking a. when it has absorbed all of the water (it's instructions are very much like that of rice) and b. when it is mostly translucent with little rings around the grains.  
Those little rings give it the coolest texture.  Mostly, it is very light, much more so than rice, but the rings have an "al dente" sort of bite to it.  I would definitely make it again.  



2 comments:

  1. I love Quinoa! (and I say KEEN-wah). I like the new design, too, but I really liked the picture you had before because it fit with your blog theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the old picture too. I switched to a 3 column design so that the ads and site navigation links could both be at the top of the page. Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to make the background of those boxes translucent or white and you couldn't read them with the old picture. If I can figure out how to whiteout those boxes, I'll prolly switch back to the old picture.

    ReplyDelete