Saturday, November 13, 2010

Turkey Sausage

I love sausage.  It's my breakfast meat of choice.  It's not terribly good for you, but have you ever bought a pork sausage alternative?  I've never tried the tofu/soy variety but I have tried store-bought turkey sausage.  It usually comes pre-cooked, full of preservatives, in patty form.  Those patties are too small and too tall to be comfortably used in a breakfast sandwich (my breakfast of choice).  They're also seriously over-seasoned.  What's a trying-to-be-less-overweight girl to do?

Make it.  Of course. 

RECIPE (courtesy of Heavenly Homemakers)

1 lb ground turkey
3 Tablespoon minced onion
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon marjoram
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
¼ teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon sage (I think I'll make that 1/4 next time I try)
2 teaspoon sea salt
1 egg

Put it all in a bowl and mix it like a meatloaf, just enough to completely combine.  Then, you can either leave it loose, form it into patties with your hands or a patty maker, which you can get for $3 in any grocery store or mega-mart. 

I got 2 tubs of patties (one for the freezer and one for the fridge) and a sizeable pile of loose sausage.  When you go to cook it, if you plan on pan frying it (like any other sausage) you'll have to add a little bit of oil or butter because turkey is VERY lean and won't grease the pan on its own.  This morning, I baked ours in the toaster oven and they were quite wonderful.  They tasted very much like pork sausage, though perhaps a tad heavy on sage.  I think in the future I'll half it. 

Isn't it purty?

Oh. P.S. This is post #50!

No comments:

Post a Comment