Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I'm going to be one of THOSE mothers...

... who lies to her children because it's convenient.

How do I know? Well, I was making meatballs this evening. Bear meatballs, because i'm cheap and refuse to buy beef until the bear is gone, and that could be a while. Sadie was following me around begging like mad. She's always been a moderate begger (a fact for which i am thankful cuz she'd be a force to be reckoned with if she were a severe one) but tonight she was putting on her best pouty face. Why? Because, for some primal reason, game meat appeals to her 10x more than domesticated animal meat. So, covered in raw meat, I look down at her and say "I'm sorry Sadie. I just can't give you any. Some dogs are inexplicably allergic to meatballs and YOU are one of them". I assume I said this because it's what I say to her when i'm making chocolate chip cookies (though in that case it's true). It is also true that my meatballs contain breadcrumbs, presumably from yeast bread, and you shouldn't give dogs yeast products. That's quite the stretch though. The fact of the matter is that (despite my hubby's best efforts) I try very hard to not give her people food. It is both unhealthy for her and only encourages the begging behavior. But is that what I told her? Nope. I lied to my DOG, who can't even understand me, out of convenience. I fear that bad habit may get worse when I have a young & impressionable audience who actually understands me.

No comments:

Post a Comment