Thursday, August 19, 2010

I Had a Hankerin’ Fer Corndogs

Talk about processed and unhealthy! Maybe it's the fair this week, but I WANTED one (so much so I didn't think about pics, I've been lazy that way lately). 

I started with this recipe from Martha Stewart as my base. 

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour I substituted Whole Wheat
2/3 cup yellow cornmeal  
2 teaspoons baking powder I used Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
2 teaspoons sugar I substituted honey but the dough wasn't sweet enough.  I'd recommend 3 or 4 tsp. 
Coarse salt and ground pepper  
2/3 cup milk  
2 large eggs, lightly beaten  
2 teaspoons vegetable oil  
4 precooked smoked chicken sausages This one was a bit of a problem

Hot dogs are a the problem child though, aren't they.  I got knackwurst (hot dog's big, German brother) from the Fredericktown meat market.  While, of course, I still have no idea what the cows were fed, at least from there I know who processed it and that they didn't put any preservatives or colorants in them. 

When I mixed it up, it was really thick.  Martha said to dust the dogs in flour before adding the batter, but that just made it fall off.  I un-dusted them and made the batter the consistency of thick pancake batter.  I rolled them in the batter and placed them on a lined baking sheet.  After 5 minutes in a 375 oven, I re-coated with any slipped batter and baked for 20 more minutes. 

They weren't pretty, but they were a relatively natural way to hit the spot.  I paired them with baked, home-sliced fries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment